Saturday, April 5, 2008

Where's the Job Description for That Person on Antiques Roadshow Who Knows All About the Vintage Clothes?

I'm not exactly unaware of the practical implications of this sort of thing, really--school time; age factors; limitations of my own vis-a-vis lack of drawing ability; a tiny, hyper-competitive field limited in geographical range (but somebody's coming up with all that mass-market, off-the-rack stuff, right?). Anyhow, with regard to that last point, I definitely am wary of leaping into yet another field where the major job opportunities are in about two cities.

And my thinking on this is so nebulous, anyway, that I wasn't necessarily thinking "design" per se, just something to do with clothing, preferably vintage, and maybe preserving or researching same. Mainly, I'm trying to figure out options that exist, and I think my vocabulary on this is limited.

I haven't even gotten to landscape architecture and design (although, again, I think legible renderings are a necessary function; although, true, the one thing I know how to draw is a tree). Aren't I good with the greenery? And wouldn't it be kind of cool to learn about all kinds of plants and what conditions they prefer?

Yes, I know, I should get a career counselor. But all the tests I've taken pretty much point to the same place. Did you know I'm well suited to be an editor or a writer?

I think the solution may be to just be an accountant and be done with this whole need to Learn, Be Expressive, and Make a Difference. Creativity can be left to one's own time and take a variety of forms, right? Bah.

No comments: