Thursday, February 7, 2008

Post-Super-Tuesday Reading

Interesting:
The story of Barack Obama last night was in the small states where hard work and organizing paid off. He's building a new coalition, Hillary Clinton's expanding the old base, and together, they're making a new Democratic majority.

And I [heart] Katha Pollitt, who reads my soul in so many things:
When Obama won Iowa, I was surprised that I was glad. Much as I would love to pull the lever for a woman president -- a pro-choice Democratic woman president, that is --I realized at that moment how deeply unthrilled I was by the prospect of a grim vote-by-vote fight for the 50 percent+1 majority in a campaign that would rehearse all the old, (yes, mostly bogus or exaggerated) scandals and maybe turn up some new ones too. I wasn't delighted to think success would mean four more years of Bill Clinton either, or might come at the price of downticket losses, as many red-state Democrats fear. Democrats have nominated plenty of dutiful public servants over the years -- Humphrey, Mondale, Dukakis, Gore, Kerry . They have always lost (or in Gore's case, not won by enough to not lose).

No comments: