Sunday, May 11, 2008

Some More Flailing

Any thoughts to offer on how to beef up one's writing portfolio? I'm realizing that one of the mistakes I've made in my current job is my failure to take advantage of the power vacuum to develop my own writing. Instead, I've been lazy and have mostly relied on strong-arming other people to supply me with copy, which I can then tweak and make pretty.

So, I'm applying for jobs that are more communications-focused and tie in editing with writing. I think it would be fun and challenging, but the selling of my talents on the writing score is a bit difficult. My current professional portfolio consists of small web pieces that are essentially cd reviews and teeny teeny, dull notices in our newsletter. In future, I can be more proactive on the newsletter copy, but what do I do in the meantime? I can't very well submit to them a blog link or a sheaf of my narcissistic personal writing, right?

2 comments:

Toby said...

Maybe write up some pieces and try shopping them to the Chicago alt papers or other spots that might take random submissions? I'm afraid that's my only brilliant idea at the moment.

Laura said...

Thanks, dude. Food for thought.