Wednesday, March 11, 2009

One of Those Irritating Days

Does this happen to you: You are some unspecified, incoherent species of annoyed with the world? Where service workers are likely fortunate not to have to deal with you? Where, if your mood were to physically manifest around you, you'd look something like Pig Pen from Peanuts, lost in a cloud of grunge and blackness? And the incoherence of the source of the irritation (and thus your inability to address same and get rid of it) increases your baseline level of irritation?

It could be the sudden cold snap or the time change. Or it could be the fact that it takes me eons to fall asleep these days (random coworker greeting from this morning: "Jeez, did you have your late class last night? Your eyes are all red"). Bah.

4 comments:

Toby said...

That's kind of how I feel when I'm hungry. I know you know what I'm talking about. So, welcome to my world.

Laura said...

I am somewhat familiar with what you're talking about. I've seen the black cloud myself, up close.

It explains a lot of the Toby hunger mechanism, though. I sympathize.

erik said...

i get the hunger thing just like toby. i also feel that for the first time in my life daylight savings does not jibe with my internal clock, and i'm staying up way too late as a consequence.

maybe it's an age thing?

Laura said...

Having been on the wrong end of 11:59 and 6:01, I'll let Toby speak to the epic nature of his hunger thing. ; - )

Yeah, it could be an aging thing with daylight savings and needing longer to adjust to it.

But the good thing about the hunger cloud of irritation is that you insert food and resolve the problem. With the abstract kind, you just have to stomp around and hope people stay out of your way. Even people you like aren't safe. Sorry, dudes.