Monday, August 13, 2007

I Want to Say It's a Banner Day

Am I just too tired to think through the implications of Karl Rove resigning? Because I can’t figure out the story here. Why now?

Listening to NPR this morning, I had my usual musings about the vapidity of Cokie Roberts’s political analysis (I want her gig; plug and chug, baby). He’s spending time with the family, but the real reason, according to Roberts, was that, as the election miracle worker, his job was done. Which, under any other administration, might make some sense. But among the Mayberry Machiavellis, he was integral to what passed for policy. Not to mention the ongoing mission to entrench loyal Republicans in all aspects of the Federal government (see, e.g., U.S. attorney scandal). Plus, (1) loyalty is brand one to Bush and (2) reviled figures serve a useful purpose in drawing ire and attention away from Bush.

So what am I missing? Will he pay a price for anything? An interesting theory here.

No comments: