Sunday, August 12, 2007

Things Keeping Me Up Nights, Part the Second

Working at an institute of higher learning, I get a pretty good survey on what The Kids Are Wearing These Days. Let me preface by saying that I am not without sin. Yes, once during sophomore year I did wear the same sweatsuit for three days straight without showering. Oh, wait. That was my roommate. Still, I would routinely roll out of bed in my sweats and t-shirt, throw on my glasses, declare myself good for public presentation, and toddle off to my 8:30 class.

Today among the whippersnappers, it's all about the eighties. Apparently, it's much easier to look fashion evil in the eye when you weren't subjected to it (or old enough to be aware of it) the first time around. I see kids in dresses over leggings. I see lots of ballet flats. I used to see the occasional poncho, but mercifully, those have dropped off in the summer heat (UPDATE: Poncho spotted today!). Once, I saw stirrup pants. I don’t like to dwell. But then there’s the unmentioned unmentionable. A work friend of mine and I drew sketches to illustrate what we felt should be official office policy on it.


Alas, our best efforts are in vain. Shoulder pads are back.

1 comment:

erik said...

as one who toils on a kids' cartoon that features many a teen girl in a trashy outfit, my apologies. we are, unfortunately, part of the problem. we do, however, slip in our own badass aesthetic whenever we can (i just posted a couple of examples on wacom... for you to peruse at your leisure).