Thursday, August 30, 2007

In Which I Defend My Tacky Mainstream Tastes

A musician friend of mine quibbles with my affinity for Sound Opinions, commenting that listening to them argue is “hell incarnate.” He also points out that they’re pop-based rock critics rather than music critics, and there are much better places for music criticism.

He’s not wrong. And I’m not saying I’m glued for all the details, or onboard for everything they have to say, or loving all the performers they choose to feature or review. But from a surfing perspective, there’s occasional good stuff to be had. It is, if you will, the Goodwill of music. Sure, there are hipper vintage places with better stock, but it’s possible to dig for the occasional cool item.

So, any good sources of music, oh music snobs? I’m all ears.

No comments: