Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I Guess I Should Have Taken It as an Omen when Laura K, Her Boyfriend BB King, and I Crashed in That Elevator

Woke up from really weird dreams this morning, only to follow them with one of my more sucky commutes: waiting 45 minutes on a frozen streetcorner for a bus that I could see (goddamnit!) several blocks down. Then the heat wasn't working on the train, on which I was wedged in my seat by a large person who took three-quarters of the available space. Adjacent to me was a person who had her mp3 player turned so loud, it could be heard many rows away. Needless to say, I couldn't hear my iPod or tune out her crappy music to read. Finally, the Dunkin' Donuts, where I went for my salvation cup of coffee, was playing Journey. I'm sitting with three sweaters on, and I still can't warm up. It has not been a good morning.

And we wonder why more people don't take mass transit.

10 comments:

erik said...

by any chance was the journey song you heard "don't stop believin'"?

Laura said...

You know, I don't even remember. Heh. I seem to have blocked it out.

Toby said...

Actually, I tried posting before, but it got erased. "Don't Stop Believing. Strangers waiting up and down the boulevard." It seems that Journey has indeed written the anthem for mass transit, so their presence in DD makes total sense.

Laura said...

Hmmm, I thought that Kingston Trio song about the guy stuck riding the T forever was the anthem for mass transit. Then there's always le Tigre's My Metrocard.

No doubt, though, Journey's waiting strangers were waiting for the goddamned 307.

erik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
erik said...

the point is that the movie never ends. it goes on and on and on and on.

Laura said...

You guys and the Journey lyrics. They are a part of our cultural landscape, but I nonethless am amused at your proficiency because I had to google (just because it's been a gazillion years).

But, my amusement and amazement is second still to my awe at Toby's knowing the whole of Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights." Still, I think that even says more about me and the fact that I obviously grew up under a (soft lite) rock.

Laura said...

And I should have noted that you'll pry that meat loaf joke out of my hands about the same time that Erik gives up about the laaaadddieeez.

All with affection, of course. As a friend of mine once said, I know how to applaud . . . and poke fun.

Toby said...

Ah Charlie and the MTA. We used to sing that at summer camp: "And did he ever return? No, he never returned, and his fate is still unlearned. He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston. He's the man that never returned."

Laura said...

ten!