Sunday, March 2, 2008

When I Read Ridiculousness

Like this, for example, my response is always to wonder, if said chick really believes that women are stupid and/or inferior, she might just choose to remove herself from the pages of the Washington Post, leaving it for those less cognitively challenged. But in case you think I exaggerate her point, let me provide her conclusion:
So I don't understand why more women don't relax, enjoy the innate abilities most of us possess (as well as the ones fewer of us possess) and revel in the things most important to life at which nearly all of us excel: tenderness toward children and men and the weak and the ability to make a house a home. (Even I, who inherited my interior-decorating skills from my Bronx Irish paternal grandmother, whose idea of upgrading the living-room sofa was to throw a blanket over it, can make a house a home.) Then we could shriek and swoon and gossip and read chick lit to our hearts' content and not mind the fact that way down deep, we are . . . kind of dim.

Did I mention this was in the Washington Freakin' Post?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG. I'm just not sure what to say about that one. First, the use of "Stupidest" in any Washington Post article should just be banned, unless written by a grade school child. Second......women will lag behind in certain careers "for good reason" ... really? OMG. Where to begin.....

Laura said...

Stupidest-est? More stupider? I think she's just trying to prove her thesis ("I just can't get my head around these things!").

Seriously, I think it's one part creating "buzz" and lots of traffic and one part Contrarianism (tm). Because women's libbers are running the world these days, flying in the face of their mighty power constitutes a brave stand. Sort of the same ilk as the persecuted Christian majority.

And on the level of this woman's career, I expect that if she wrote about anything else, she wouldn't have much of a writing career to speak of.

So, you know, food for my career brainstorming thought.