Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I Understand What Might Work Is a Whisper Campaign about His Illigitimate Children

Well, my political optimism didn't last long, did yours? Karl Rove seems to be free for political consulting, because we're featuring a doozy of a negative Clinton campaign. The gloves are off, folks. The key, it seems, is to "fight," and thus show your mettle, and thenceforth sweep to victory in the general.

I understand that it's exhilarating when it's our son of a bitch doing this sort of thing, rather than their son of a bitch. Hey, politics are ugly, and if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen! The Republicans do it, and it's about time we started really fighting, in order to win win win!

Here's the problem I have with the above thinking. First, as a voter, I really really take issue with being treated like a fool to be exploited. I also really hate people manipulating me with fear. Have we not had enough of that cynicism for the last eight years to last us a good long time?

Second, do the people cheering this on really think that this is the kind of campaign that she could wage and get away with in a general election? Bush can do it because he seems genial. Clinton goes in with half the population already hating her, a cottage industry dedicated to pumping out t-shirts and bumper stickers about her Satanic essence, and she's supposed to win over voters who aren't part of the core Democratic base how, exactly? Because she doesn't seem evil sometimes, when she speaks? I hear that Gore didn't seem nearly like such a stuffed shirt either, in small venues. And I'm sure the media won't reinforce any preexisting narratives.

It will be a really lovely day, one day in the future, when Democrats, whose essential goals and policy positions are supported by a majority of Americans, can run a campaign beyond reacting to whatever the hell it is Republicans do or say.

And all of this reminds me that I mean to donate to Obama.

No comments: