Monday, January 21, 2008

This Seemed Much Harder to Do When I Was Twelve

I'm making a dress. Surprisingly--despite that fact that, apart from the occasional slip cover or curtain, I haven't really sewed since I was in 4-H--I'm chugging right along. It's dress shaped! It has darts! An interesting discovery I'm making, though, is that it's easier to sew from a pattern than it is to try to do straight lines on large swaths of fabric.

And for $6.99, you too can own a copy of the all-purpose reference book I'm using, which provides a refreshing look into ladies' sewing of a certain era. The interior decorating section is also quite intriguing.

4 comments:

Toby said...

I sewed an apron in 7th grade home ec. Aside from the occasional button or split seam, thats about all I've ever sewn. So kudos to you. Maybe you could switch over to fashion design.

Laura said...

Hey, don't knock being able to sew an occasional button or split seam. Them there's life skills.

Project Runway, here I come! I always thought it would be fun, though. If nothing else, I can be that crazy woman with a zillion hats and a custom-designed wardrobe.

erik said...

good luck with the dress! you realize that now that we know about this project, you must post a pic of the finished product. we promise to be firm but fair in our judgments.

Laura said...

Funny you suggest posting my finished endeavor, because while I was unearthing my giant reference book (in the spare-room closet, in the gym bag with the busted cordless phone; is it any surprise I've been known to put shoes in the fridge?), I found something else that I mean to post a photo of.