Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Oh Ye Good Samaritans with Snow Blowers, Am I Not Worthy?

See me, that tiny person out dutifully shoveling--multiple times, even--every snowfall? Notice those empty houses with unshoveled sidewalks with which I am surrounded? Do you feel no pity? Not even when you plow our entire section of our alley except for my drive?

Yes, it snowed again, and it continues to snow, so I can count on spending another hour tonight and perhaps tomorrow morning shoveling again. Yay! My back can hardly wait.

Some thoughts:

1. Who are these people stomping down the sidewalk on New Year's Day, packing all the snow until it's compacted into ice? Where are they going? We don't live particularly close to anything, and besides, it's New Year's Day--everything is closed.

2. Why, even when it's not particularly cold, does one's nose insist on running during the whole shoveling endeavor, making the drill more like: shovel shovel [pause, sniff], shovel shovel shovel [snork, sniff, angry digging through coat pockets to locate a tissue that blows away as soon as it's extracted]

3. Is it uncharitable to be irritated when people park in front of your walkway as soon as you clear it?

4. And, shit, as I sit here watching, all of my hard work is covered in snow again. Sigh.

Okay, I feel better getting all that off my chest. Now I can move onto my positive, symbolic start to 2008!

No comments: