Thursday, September 20, 2007

From the Department of Surly Curmudeons: Whippersnapper Music Snobs Navel Gaze, or That CD Was Like So Transformative When I Was Fourteen!

Is 1997 the new 1967? Since I spent the decade of the 1990s in a cave in Estonia, musically speaking, I’m not going to weigh in. However, I do enjoy the prospect of my friend Jim’s head exploding at the word Radiohead.

I will observe that it seems like shooting fish in a barrel to pick a random year and list the great albums that came out--lo, a music revolution! And I will further speculate that whippersnappers who could barely remember the early nineties (now there was a watershed time for music, dagnabbit!) appear to be overrepresented, among commenters and likely among reviewers. More evidence that your music preferences, and emotional attachments to same, are solidified in adolescence.

But, dear god, the Spice Girls? Someone needs to explain that one. In other music news, Pitchfork weighs in on music.

No comments: