Sunday, September 23, 2007

In Which I Plug Movies That Pleased Me

Want to do a punk-apalooza?

24-Hour Party People, about the birth of punk, focusing on Tony Wilson, band manager, club manager, record-label president, and general man in the middle of things. A mock documentary, it's funny and self-referential. Plus, great soundtrack.

The Punk Years, a 12-part (half-hour per episode) BBC documentary miniseries on the history of punk. Johnny Rotten still looks absurdly cool, and he hates everyone. But it's okay, because he's Johnny Rotten.

And it's possible--no, make that probable--that I've been in my job too long, but I laughed my ass off watching Art School Confidential, the latest by Terry Zwigoff (Ghost World). The plot was kind of ridiculous and forgettable, but the art school absurdities were pretty fabulous.

No comments: